Yes, roasted strawberries. No, it’s not something I thought about doing before. But I have to admit to making some dried fruit a week or so ago and the smell – all day – of baking fruit made me hungry. All day. It’s interesting to watch fruit break down as it dries at a low oven temperature and when it is finished drying, the flavor is super concentrated.
I can see how roasting strawberries coated in sugar and fresh vanilla would make an incredibly delicious topping for a vanilla cupcake. Oh, and there are roasted strawberries in the cupcakes, too. My thanks to Buttercream Blondie for coming up with something fresh and new for summer!
Roasted Strawberry and Mascarpone Cupcakes
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup roasted strawberries (1 batch) (recipe below)
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- *You will need another batch of roasted strawberries to top the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla bean paste.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl.
- Add dries to mixture alternating with sour cream.
- Fill cupcake tins and place 2-3 roasted strawberries on top of each cupcake. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- Whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla till stiff.
- Fold into mascarpone. Use right away.
- Top with roasted strawberries.
- 1lb strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash, hull and cut strawberries in half. If strawberries are really big you can quarter them. You just want them all to be approx. the same size.
- Toss strawberries with sugar. Scrape vanilla bean and add to the mix.
- Spread evenly on a parchment lined sheet pan seed side up. Tuck vanilla bean under the strawberries.
- Roast strawberries 15-18 minutes, rotating pan about 10 minutes through.
- Allow to cool completely. Transfer cooled strawberries to jar and refrigerate.
Cupcakes are best served the day they are made. If needed store in air tight container in the fridge and bring to room temp before serving.
Mascarpone frosting should be used right away.
You can also use regular whipped cream to top these if you like.
Top with strawberries right before serving. This is not a cupcake you want to frost and decorate and leave hanging around in the fridge!