Seems like there are pumpkins everywhere right now and what better way to take advantage of that than to make some pumpkin cupcakes. While the recipe calls for canned pumpkin, About a Mom recommends using fresh pureed pumpkin. We completely agree. Fresh ingredients make everything taste better! Oh, and almost forgot these morsels of yumminess are topped with chocolate cinnamon frosting. Pumpkin, chocolate and spice….it must be fall!
Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes
1 cup flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons softened butter
⅔ cup sugar
1 large egg
½ cup canned pumpkin puree
⅓ cup buttermilk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon Cinnamon, Ground
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup milk
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line mini muffin pans with 36 liners. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add in egg, pumpkin puree, dry ingredients, and then milk.
- Fill each lined cup and bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and melted chocolate; mix well.
- Stir cinnamon into confectioners’ sugar. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended after each addition and scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
- Beat in milk until light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick to spread, gradually beat in additional milk. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.