What’s for breakfast? How about a bit of jam. And a banana cupcake. And peanut butter frosting. Sound good? We thought so, too! Evil Shenanigans figured out a way to combine all three scrumptious breakfast foods into one cupcake. So there ya go, breakfast on the go.
Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup grape jam, or preferred flavor
For the frosting:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk, plus more if needed
- Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed bananas and buttermilk until smooth. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until no large lumps of flour remain.
- Scoop the batter evenly between the paper liners and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed in the center. Cool in the pan for three minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cooled completely take a small paring knife and poke it into the center of the cupcake in a cross pattern about 1 inch deep. Take a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip and fill it with the jam. Press the tip into the cross and pipe in about one tablespoon of jam. Clean off the tops of the cupcakes before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting cream together the butter and peanut butter until well combined. Add in the powdered sugar and half the milk and mix until smooth, fluffy and your desired piping consistency. (I used the full 1/4 cup of milk.)