And by cookies, I mean Oreo cookies! There is half an Oreo on the bottom and crushed Oreos in the cupcake batter…and then crushed Oreos on top of the frosting. It’s an Oreo extravaganza! If that doesn’t make your mouth water, Annie’s Eats topped these yummy cupcakes with a cream cheese buttercream frosting. These would go perfectly with a tall glass of cold milk.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- Oreo Cookie halves with frosting attached
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Oreo cookie crumbs
- 24 Oreo cookie halves
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line cupcake tins with 24 liners
- Place an Oreo half in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Blend in the egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
- Add the milk and beat until just combined, them mix in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until just incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 24 liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium high speed until smooth, about one minute. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the confectioners sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and beat on medium low speed just until incorporated and then increase the speed to medium high and whip for 5 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs and garnish with Oreo cookie halves as desired.