Chocolate Oreo Buttercream frosting? Yes! Thank you le creme de la Crumb! I made these cupcakes recently using a devils food cake mix for a couple of reasons – it was what was in my pantry and I don’t think my grocery store sells a triple chocolate cake mix. If yours does – go for it! The cake mix modified with cream cheese and milk makes a light and moist cake. I will make these again for the frosting which is very chocolately with just a hint of Oreo cookie. So much for the diet this week!
Triple Chocolate Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- 1 box triple chocolate fudge cake mix (may sub devil’s food cake mix)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup half & half
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt (may sub sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- about 12 oreos, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, half & half, milk, greek yogurt, and vanilla. Sift and stir in cake mix.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, til about ¾ full. Bake about 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the butter until fluffy and creamy. Mix in vanilla, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and milk. In your food processor, finely crush 8 oreos. Stir oreo crumbs into frosting.
- Once cupcakes are baked and cooled, pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes. Use a sharp knife to cut remaining oreos into 4 pieces and top each cupcake with ¼ of an oreo. Sprinkle with additional oreo crumbs and powdered sugar if desired.
Notes: I used a half and half substitute of 1/2 tablespoon butter mixed with 1/2 cup milk. I might try to make these using 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup milk. The frosting will be very stiff. I used some extra milk so I could pipe it more easily. The recipe makes just enough for 24 cupcakes so if you like a lot of frosting add some additional powdered sugar and a dash more milk. And finally, the cookie crumbs in the frosting clogged up the frosting tip I was using. So be sure the cookie crumbs are crushed extra fine or that you use a larger frosting tip.