Goat cheese you say? Yes, goat cheese for Cupcake Project’s new twist on an old favorite. Using goat cheese instead of cream cheese gives these gems a little extra tang so they aren’t too sweet. They are just right.
Black Bottom Cupcakes with Goat Cheese
- 2 C flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 C butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C plain yogurt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 C milk
- 5 oz baking chocolate, melted
- 8 oz goat cheese (I used Ile de France goat cheese, but any non-flavored goat cheese would work)
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and milk until blended.
- Alternately fold in flour mixture and melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the goat cheese topping.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the topping onto the center of each cupcake.
- Bake at 350 F for thirty minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.