This year has been off to a rocky start so I am pretty sure I need some of these rum infused cupcakes. Or at least that is what I’m going with right now to justify eating them. There are just some times when only an “adult” cupcake will do. Thank you Food.com!
Butter Rum Cupcakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes
- 1(18 1/2 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (or yellow if you cant find it)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix (about half a standard packet)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1⁄2cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
Butter Rum Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
Rum Buttercream Frosting
- 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons dark rum, plus up to 2 tablespoons more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Toast pecan and coconut over medium heat in a dry skillet for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large stainless steel bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Stir in pecans and coconut flake mixture reserving about 1/3 cup for garnishing later.
- Pour batter into prepared cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center completely clean.
- Place on a cooling rack. Prick top of cupcakes with toothpick. ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- For glaze:.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum and sugar.
- Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of rum.
- For Frosting:.
- Before starting, place your stainless steel bowl and the arms for mixer into the freezer, for about 5 minutes. The cold bowl and arms form stiffer peaks in your frosting.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons rum until blended.
- Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat in more rum as needed for desire consistency for frosting.
- To finish cupcakes:.
- Dip tops of cupcakes into Butter Rum Glaze and allow excess to drop off before placing back down. This part can get a bit messy.
- Pipe on dollops of frosting, I usually leave some of the cupcake showing cause the glaze is so shiny and pretty.
- Drizzle a small amount of remaining drizzle over top of frosting. Sprinkle with remaining pecan and coconut.