How did it get to be March already? That means St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and THAT means….alcohol infused cupcakes. Well, it does, doesn’t it? Lucky for you, Paper Blog has the perfect treat for your St. Patrick’s Day party. A little Guinness, a little whiskey, a little Baileys and a lot of chocolate. Perfect.
Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes
1 cup Guinness
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 eggs, room temp
2/3 sour cream
8 onces bittersweet dark chocolate
2/3 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 table spoons whiskey
2 cups unsalted butter
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons Baileys Liquor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 2 cupcake pans with liners (24)
- Bring the Guinness and butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a separate large bowl, Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together and set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sour cream on medium speed until combined.
- Add the Guinness-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat just to combine. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and beat briefly. Using a rubber spatula, fold the batter until completely combined.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a tooth inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean
Directions for Ganache –
- Chop the chocolate and transfer it to a medium glass bowl.
- In a small pot, Heat the cream on medium until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then, using a rubber spatula, combine it until smooth.
- Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined. Let the ganache cool until thick but still soft enough to be piped. putting it in the fridge for about 15 minutes help.-
- To fill the cupcakes, make a whole in the middle using a small spoon or apple corer.
- Put your ganache into a pipping bag and pipe into your cupcakes
Directions for Frosting
- Using a electric mixer whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar until all of it is incorporated.
- Add the Baileys, increase the speed to medium-high and whip for another 2 to 3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.