I’m not exactly sure why sweet and salty things just seem to go together. There is probably a scientific explanation but it doesn’t really matter, does it? Heavens Meals combines the two by using crushed potato chips and milk chocolate. If you have never tried a chocolate covered potato chip, well, you are missing out and you most definitely need to whip up a batch of these cupcakes. You just do.
Sweet & Salty Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated & at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
Milk Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 T. chocolate or white milk
Crushed Potato Chips:
- Approximately 2 cups of whole potato chips, finely crushed
- (the smaller the pieces the better!)
- Chocolate Covered Potato Chips:
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. vegetable shortening
- potato chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk until combined.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, stir a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake layers three-quarters full. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Milk Chocolate Frosting:
- Place the butter into a mixing bowl. Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix together. The mixture should form a crumbly mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and milk together on the stove until smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes before adding to the butter mixture.
- Once added to the butter mixture, mix until everything is evenly combined. Then, mix on medium high speed for about two minutes, until the frosting is nice and fluffy and light in color.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes, and then dip the tops into the crushed potato chips.
Chocolate Covered Potato Chips:
- Melt the milk chocolate chips and shortening in a microwaveable safe dish. Microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate is nice and smooth. Dip half of a potato chip into the chocolate. Set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Complete the dipping process with chips (chips can be of any size) until the chocolate is gone. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes, until the chocolate has just set. Gently press the chip into the top of the cupcake for a garnish.