When I was growing up, breakfast consisted of toast and maybe some cocoa. On rare occasions, my mom might have made some eggs. On special occasions, I would sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the toast just for some extra zing. Maybe that’s how the sweet tooth started? But now eating sweets with cinnamon and sugar like these amazing cupcakes from Life Love and Sugar takes me back to my childhood and those special mornings with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on toast.
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes
Makes 14-16 cupcakes
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 and 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp water or milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
4. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
5. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
6. Place 1 tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liner, spread evenly.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon sugar onto batter.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. Add one more large tablespoon of batter to each cupcake liner.
10. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon sugar on top of each cupcake if you want. Liners should be about half full.
11. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs
12. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
13. To make the icing, beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
14. Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
15. Mix in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
16. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency, then ice the cupcakes.