Not everyone chooses – or can afford – to have a lavish wedding. There are many couples who want to have a simple affair with close friends and family. But simple doesn’t mean skimping or cutting corners on everything.
These lovely cupcakes are easy to make but may take some practice decorating. This recipe will taste like a real wedding cake made by the pros for a fraction of the cost. And you can decorate them however you wish to fit your color scheme or theme. This recipe is courtesy of My Recipes.
For more great wedding cupcake decorating ideas, follow us on Pinterest!
Wedding Cake Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
Wedding Cake Frosting:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16-oz.) packages powdered sugar
- White sparkling sugar
- Gum paste roses
- Edible pearl candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- Prepare 2 recipes of frosting. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Fill each cupcake with Wedding Cake Frosting. To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about 1/4 inch from one corner of the bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with sparkling sugar, gum paste roses, and edible pearls.