This basic cupcake recipe from Splenda is for all the folks out there watching their sugar intake. I added a Splenda smooth chocolate frosting recipe but you can certainly add whatever topping your diet will allow.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 18 paper baking cups into muffin pans. Set aside.
- Place cake flour, SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, sugar and softened unsalted butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix 1 to 2 minutes with electric mixer set on medium speed, until butter is mixed into flour mixture.
- Add nonfat dry milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until blended.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs and extracts in a small bowl. Stir well. Add 2/3 of the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix on medium speed mixing until the liquids are just blended into the flour mixture. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Mix on medium-high speed about 45-60 seconds until the batter starts to become lighter in appearance. Reduce mixer speed to low and add remaining liquids. Mix on medium speed until blended. Stop mixer and scrape sides and bottom of bowl again. Mix on medium high speed an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Bake cupcakes in preheated 350 degrees F oven 12-15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking, flour, and milk in a saucepan, stirring until smooth. Add chocolate. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat and cook over low heat until mixture thickens and is pudding-like in consistency (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water. Stir mixture occasionally, until mixture cools and begins to thicken (about 20 minutes). Stir in vanilla. Spread on cupcakes.