Today we have a recipe AND a decorating idea! Your Cup of Cake has a few easy (or relatively easy) decorating ideas but we will stick with the wreath for this post. Or maybe you are just looking for an easy and delicious chocolate cupcake and frosting recipe. No problem, happy to help. Now get the kids in the kitchen and put them to work decorating cupcakes!
Easy Chocolate Cupcakes:
1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
1/2 C. oil or melted butter
3/4 C. sour cream
3/4 C. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C. butter, softened (or 1/2 C. butter and 8 oz. cream cheese)
3-4 C. powdered sugar
food coloring, if needed
peppermint extract, if needed (great for the “green” frostings)
mini M&M’s, Rolos or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Red fruit leather strips (Fruit by the Foot), or any other candies you want!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract together.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.