Yes, as in the drink called a White Russian. Oh, and did I forget to mention the vodka laced buttercream frosting? Christina’s Cucina sure knows how to make a delicious adults only cupcake! Be sure to use high quality ingredients for better flavor. Who would want a cheap White Russian? You deserve only the best!
White Russian Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups (14 oz) sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter, good quality at room temperature
- 3 cups (16 oz) flour, good quality
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) vodka
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) Kahlua or coffee liqueur
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (like Heilala) or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 oz butter, good quality, at room temperature
- 4 cups (about a pound) confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) good quality vodka, this too, will make a difference
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a little milk to make a smoother consistency, if too stiff
Prepare cupcake tins with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350º F (175º C)
Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
In a large bowl (preferably in a stand mixer), cream the butter and sugar, slowly for 2 minutes.Increase to high and beat for another 8 minutes, or until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally. Add the 2 of the eggs, one at a time, clearing after each addition, then add half of the flour mixture, scraping the sides with a spatula if needed.
Add half a cup of the buttermilk and mix well, then add another egg. Continue to mix; then add the remaining milk, egg, vanilla, vodka, Kahlua and flour.
Mix on high for 2 minutes, scraping sides with a spatula at least once.
Fill the cupcake liners half full with the batter and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when placed in the center of a cupcake. Place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the icing, by beating all the ingredients until smooth. When the cupcakes are cool, cut the tops off if they are too tall. (Optional: sprinkle a little Kahlua over each cupcake for an added kick!) You can pipe the icing on the cupcakes or just spread it on, either way tastes just as delicious!