Oh, almost forgot, with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting! Now I am admittedly not a vegan, not even close, but the spices in this recipe make them sound awfully delicious. Using sweet potatoes and organic ingredients just makes them sound like a healthier alternative. Who said “clean eating” had to be boring? Obviously Diva Dish doesn’t think so!
Vegan Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. Baking soda
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup sucanat or brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup sweet potato puree
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup earth balance (butter)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (tofutti is best-or reg cream cheese)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3-4 TB 100% pure maple syrup
1-2 TB soymilk
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a liquid measure, whisk together soymilk and vinegar, and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl sift together flour, BP, BS, and spices and set aside. In another bowl add sweet potato and soymilk. Mix until combined. Add oil, vanilla, almond extract and combine. Then add sugars and mix until combined. Then add the dry ingredients and mix…until combined
3. Pour batters into cupcake pan and bake for 22-27 min.
4. Once done, let cool and prepare frosting.
5. For frosting cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Then add powdered sugar, syrup, vanilla, and soymilk. The trick with frosting though is to do it in batches to reach your preference. I like my frostings sweet. If you want it more sweet at sugar. If it’s too thick add milk. If it’s not enough cream cheesy add more by the TB, and does it need more maple? You get the idea.
6. Frost cupcakes and top with pecans. Eat..and Enjoy!