Its not a myth – vegans love chocolate too. Unfortunately, vegans can’t enjoy the chocolately goodness at most bakeries. This cupcake recipe offers vegans solace, thanks to Christine Agro.
- 1 Cup of Almond Milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Hain Sodium and Gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with paper liners. I used unbleached paper liners.
- Whisk together they milk and vinegar in measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Pour milk mixture into a large bowl for mixing (I used my food processor so I poured it into my food processor bowl.) Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and the other extract to the milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Separate into two batches and add to wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into liners filling 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack completely.
- 1/4 cup margarine (Vegan, non GMO margarine)
- 1/4 cup shortening (Coconut Oil)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if there are clumps
- 2/12 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cream together the margarine and the shortening until well combined. Add the cocoa powder and incorporate well. Add the confectioners sugar in about 1/2 cup batches and beat well, adding a little splash of soy milk (almond milk) after each addition. When all ingredients have been well incorporated add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes with a hand mixer, 7 minutes if mixing with a fork – I used the food processor and it worked fine.) Frost the cupcakes after they have cooled.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Read more from Christina at Life As A Conscious Mom.