Football fever is in full swing right now and it will continue for the next few weeks until the Super Bowl on Feburary 2. This recipe from Taste of Home is really for the decorative football and “grass” on top of your favorite cupcakes. The footballs could be used by themselves – almost like little football candies – if you don’t want to make three dozen cupcakes. Truffles are always good, right?
Truffle Football Cupcakes
- 3 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup crushed granola cereal with oats and honey
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting, divided
- Green paste food coloring
- 36 cupcakes of your choice
In a microwave, melt white candy coating at 70% power for 1 minute;
stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring
until smooth. Stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add the
confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and cereal. Chill for 2-3 hours or
until easy to handle.
Shape into 1-in. balls; form each ball into football shape and set
aside. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until
smooth. Dip footballs in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place
on a wire rack over waxed paper; let stand until set, about 30
Pipe frosting laces onto footballs. Tint remaining frosting green.
Using a #233 or #234 tip, pipe grass over cupcakes. Just before serving, insert a toothpick into each football. Insert toothpick into cupcake to position football.