We all have a comfort food we turn to when having a less than good day. Like today. Now you would think I would just whip up a batch of cupcakes on the fly, but I didn’t have the right ingredients in the pantry. Luckily, I DID have a brownie mix and brownies tend to be my chocolate comfort food. Especially the kind with fudge icing.
That got me to thinking about a brownie cupcake recipe and I was lucky enough to find one. Oh, and there are cookies and cookie dough, too. Now THIS is a comfort food cupcake! Your Cup of Cake may have come up with a recipe so good it should be illegal.
Triple Threat Cupcakes
24 Oreos split in half (cream sides only)
1 box white cake mix
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk (whole, buttermilk, or whatever you have)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cookie Dough Filling:
3/4 cup butter, softened
5 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
7 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
3-4 cups powdered sugar
5-7 brownies, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Place your Oreo halves cream side up on the bottom of each liner. (Feel free to eat the non-cream side as you bake.)
3. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
5. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
6. Fill cupcake liners (over oreo halves) 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Cookie Dough Filling: Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer, except chocolate chips, and beat until smooth. Then fold in chocolate chips. Add more flour if needed to thicken.
8. Use a knife to cut out small holes of each cupcake and fill with cookie dough filling. You can do this while the cupcakes are still warm.
9. Frosting: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add cocoa, vanilla extract and milk. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add a little more milk if the frosting becomes too thick. Fold in brownie crumbles.
10. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes over the cookie filling and top with sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or Oreos.