Yes, as in a munchies, not a traditional cupcake. We all need to eat something other than dessert at some point, right? This fast and easy recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything uses wonton wrappers instead of traditional taco shells or tortilla chips. They are the perfect size for muffin tins and an easy way to layer the ground beef and other taco ingredients. Ready made bite size tacos are always a hit at a party!
1 pound ground beef
1 (1.25 ounce) package Old El Paso taco seasoning mix
36 wonton wrappers
1 (16 ounce) can Old El Paso refried beans
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
optional toppings: sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, onion
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Brown beef in a skillet and drain the fat. Add the taco seasoning mix and water called for on the package and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Place one wonton wrapper in the bottom of each muffin cup. Layer about 1 Tbsp of refried beans on top of each wonton. Crush one tortilla chip on top of the beans. Top with 1 Tbsp of taco meat and 1 Tbsp of shredded cheese. Repeat the layers again with a wonton wrapper, refried beans, tortilla chips, taco meat, and cheese.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Remove cupcakes from tin and top with your favorite taco toppings (i.e. sour cream, diced tomatoes, onion, or cilantro)