I’m not even sure where to begin with these cupcakes from Half Baked Harvest. The rich chocolate cupcake? The milk chocolate ganache filling? The nougat filling? The caramel? The coconut? It’s hard to say what my favorite part is except the entire cupcake – every last bit of it from the caramel buttercream frosting right down to the chocolatey goodness of the cake. Yes, they are that good.
Snickers Coconut Caramel Cupcakes
Coconut Caramel Sauce
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, hot
Nougat Filling and Chocolate Ganache
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canned coconut milk
3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
1/8 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut, toasted
1/3 cup peanuts, chopped, plus more for topping
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 sticks butter, softened
1 3/4 cup powder sugar, or more
1/4 cup coconut caramel sauce
1/4 cup toasted coconut, plus more for topping
1 tablespoon shredded sweetened coconut
- Start by making the Coconut Caramel Sauce. Whisk together the coconut milk, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once it begins to boil watch closely and whisk until the mixture starts to smell like caramel and turn a golden color, and then to a light brown. This will take about 5-6 minutes. When you see that it has started to turn brown, slowly pour in the coconut milk mixture, whisking constantly and quickly. The sugar will harden around the whisk, don’t worry, it will melt. Just keep whisking! Continue to heat over medium-high until mixture has thickened and is a light caramel color, about 5 minutes more (don’t let it get too thick, it will thicken as it sits). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and suger. Whisk to combine. In a small bowl add the coconut milk, egg, canola oil and vanilla extract. Stir lightly and then add to the flour mixture. Beat until the ingredients are well combined and then add the warm coffee. Beat well, until the mixture is very smooth. Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
- While the cupcakes bake make the frosting. Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and beat until combined. Add the 1/3 cup of coconut caramel sauce and beat until the caramel sauce is fully incorporated into the butter/powdered sugar. Then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. Fold in shredded coconut and toasted coconut and mix until just combined.
- While the cupcakes cool make the Nougat filling and the chocolate ganche. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and coconut milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in marshmallow fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in toasted coconut, sweetened coconut and peanuts.
- To make the ganache place the 4 ounces of milk chocolate and the 1/4 cup coconut milk in a heat proof bowl and melt in the microwave on 30 second intervals or gently melt in a sauce pan on the stove.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Use a small paring knife to cut a cone-shaped piece from the center of each cupcake. Fill the hole with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the chocolate ganache and fill the rest in with the the nougat filling. Top that with a layer of the ganache. Transfer the Coconut Caramel Frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a tip. Pipe frosting into a swirl on each cupcake (you can also just spread the frosting on with a knife). Drizzle with the remaining chocolate ganache and sprinkle with toasted coconut, chopped peanuts and drizzle with additional coconut caramel sauce over the top, if desired.