How about something a little different today? May is a month of celebrations such as Mother’s Day and graduation and that means brunch. Right? Or maybe you have brunch on Sunday mornings regardless of any celebration. These “cupcakes” from Emily Bites are perfect for a Sunday Brunch and far less messy to serve your guests. The even better part is they are Weight Watcher friendly for those of us, um, watching our weight while we eat cupcakes. A little less guilt is always a good thing.
Sausage, Egg, Cheese and Hash Brown Cups
20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes brand which comes in a 20 oz refrigerated bag. If you use frozen potatoes, just make sure you let them thoroughly thaw first)
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ t salt (plus a little more to taste for the eggs)
Black pepper, to taste
4 chicken breakfast sausage links
6 large eggs
4 egg whites
6 T shredded 2% cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray
2. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Scoop the hash browns evenly into each of the muffin tins and then press the hash browns down into the cups and up the sides to form a well. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned.
3. Cut the sausages up into small bite sized pieces. Mist a skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage pieces over medium-high heat.
4. In another large bowl, combine the eggs and egg whites and whisk together until thoroughly beaten. Add a bit of salt & pepper to taste.
5. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese and browned sausage pieces into each hash brown cup and then spoon the egg mixture into each hash brown cup as well. Place the cups back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are set. To remove from tins, run a large spoon or butter knife along the edges of each muffins cup.
Yields 12 breakfast cups. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3 per cup (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per serving from myfitnesspal.com: 123 calories, 10 g carbs, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber