Did you know the Milky Way candy bar has been around since 1923? I suppose there are some things that just can’t be improved or replaced and any candy bar that has been around for almost 100 years would be one of those things. I do love chocolate and caramel, the nougat in the candy bar just adds some fluff.
These cupcakes from Unexpected Elegance combine a chocolate cake stuffed with a piece of Simply Caramel Milky Way candy then topped with caramel syrup and buttercream frosting. Oh, and MORE candy pieces and a bit of salt. All kinds of good things here!
Salted Milky Way Cupcakes
Ingredients for cupcakes:
basic chocolate cake mix (boxed or homemade) made according to the directions
1 bag of MILKY WAY® Simply Caramel Bites
1. Scoop the cake mixture into each cupcake liner.
2. Then add one Milky Way Bite to each cupcake.
3. Use a toothpick to submerge the candy into the batter. You should see very little or no candy.
5. Bake on 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes.
For the Frosting
few Tbs. of kosher salt
1 lb. box of powdered sugar
1 lbs. of baking shortening
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Using a mixer, blend together the powder sugar, butter, shortening and vanilla. This makes a basic buttercream icing. Now just add a generous amount caramel syrup. Taste as you add to get the flavor you want.
2. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled (you might even want to put them in the fridge for a few minutes), you can ice them. I used a piping bag but you can just spread the icing on with a knife…either way works and achieves the same taste!
To finish off the cupcakes, chop-up some of the leftover MILKY WAY® Bites. It works best if they are cold, so I put mine in the freezer while the cupcakes were baking.
Roll the iced cupcakes, along the outside, in the chopped up candy. It easier if you have the candy on a dinner plate for this.
Drizzle with caramel syrup, sprinkle on some kosher salt