What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than with red cupakes? Red velvet is a favorite recipe for cakes and cupcakes and this recipe is a little lower in fat. Every little bit helps! Top these beautiful and delicious cupcakes with buttercream frosting and some candy hearts or red sprinkles and your sweetie will be, well, sweet on you!
Red Velvet Low-Fat Cupcake Recipe
* 1 2/3 cups sugar
* 5 tbsp vegetable shortening
* 1 large egg white
* 1 large egg
* 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
* 1 one-ounce bottle red food coloring
* 2 1/4 cups flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
* 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tbsp white vinegar
* 1 tsp baking soda
First, beat your sugar and vegetable shortening for five minutes. You can do this by hand, but a mixer will help save some elbow grease. Next, add both the egg white and egg and beat them into the mix. In a different bowl, stir the cocoa and food coloring together and add it to the mixture. Alternately add a little bit of the flour and buttermilk until it’s all in there and mixed well. Stir in your vanilla, and then in another separate bowl combine the vinegar and baking soda. Stir it together well and add it to your mixture. The mix is finished now and ready to be poured into your cupcake pan or a lined muffin tin. Then bake it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176.6 degrees Celsius) for about 20 minutes.
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- In large bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter and shortening with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat in milk and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. If necessary, stir in milk, a few drops at a time, until spreadable. Frosts two 13×9-inch cakes, or fills and frosts two 8- or 9-inch two-layer cakes.