Wilton suggests adding blue food coloring to the cream cheese frosting for a patriotic look to these cupcakes. I think fresh blueberries would be far more festive! And if you are going to take cupcakes to a picnic or party, you want them to be festive, right? If you don’t care for the blueberry idea, I’m sure the cupcakes alone will be a crowd pleaser.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes
Make about 36 cupcakes
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 packages (20 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Clear Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) Favorite red velvet cupcake recipe or mix
- water, oil, eggs to prepare mix
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 1/2 pkg. (12 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (about 1 lb.)
- pecan halves (optional)
- Line muffin pan with baking cups.
- In small bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press 1/2 tablespoon of mixture in each baking cup; press down with back of spoon.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla; mix until thoroughly combined. Beat in eggs, flour and sour cream; mix until smooth. Spoon about 2 tablespoons mixture over crust in baking cups.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheesecake is just set. Remove from oven, place on cooling grid and cool 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, water and oil with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Spoon batter over baked cheesecake mixture, filling baking cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until Cake Tester or toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth.
To Assemble: Ice cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing. Top with pecans if desired.