Ahhh…whoopie pies! I do love a good whoopie pie, though I have only ever eaten those of the chocolate flavor. 3 Boys Unprocessed turns whoopie pies into cupcakes AND makes them pumpkin flavored. So if you are a fan of pumpkin or know someone who is, these are for you!
Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Cupcakes
Makes about 14 cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup organic brown sugar I used 1 cup organic sugar and 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup melted butter or 1 stick
- 1 can pumpkin puree standard 15 oz. size
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup yogurt I used greek
- 16 ounces full fat cream cheese for icing
- 1/2 cup organic sugar for icing
- 1 cup organic 10x sugar for icing
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon for icing
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract for icing
- Mix together all dry ingredients including flour, leavening agents, salt, spices, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together all wet ingredients including melted butter, eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and yogurt. *Yogurt is added for extra moisture and puffiness, so I would recommend using it.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients over wet, mix just to combine. Batter will be thick. Divide batter into 14 lined cupcake tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- For cream cheese filling: Beat softened cream cheese until very smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl several times to ensure all lumps are out. Add sugar, and beat until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla to finish.
- To assemble: Cut the top off of each cupcake (make sure they are cooled or you will end up with a mess) with a serrated knife. Pipe a layer of filling, then top with cupcake top, and pipe another layer of filling. Dust with powdered sugar to finish.