Rumor has it that stores already have Halloween costumes and such for sale. Wasn’t it summer just a day ago? For those of you who are already planning fall gatherings, here’s a pumpkin cupcake recipe from Your Cup of Cake made with a Golden Oreo as the “crust” of the pie. In my world, you can never go wrong with an Oreo! So even though it really isn’t technically autumn yet, go ahead and save this recipe for later. Always good to be prepared!
Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes with Whipped Cream
Pumpkin Pie Cakes
24 Golden Oreos
½ cup oil
½ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
15 ounces pumpkin puree (the small can)
2 ¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
Whipped Cream Topping
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcakes liners (yields 24).
- Split the Oreos and drop them at the bottom of each liner, cream side up. (You can use the non cream side as decoration at the end it you want.)
- Gently combine eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir in brown sugar and sugar for several minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin puree.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to oils/sugars and stir only until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 17-25 minutes, or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Whipped Topping: Using a whisk or whisk attachment, beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice on top to decorate. (I used the Ateco tip #855)