Have you had enough of all the pumpkin spice stuff that seems to be out there this year? No? Ok, maybe you just love pumpkin and if you do then Cupcake Project has the perfect cupcake for you. Pumpkin and spice in the cake and more pumpkin in the frosting. Take THAT! Starbucks!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cheesecake Frosting
Makes about 17 cupcakes
- 3/4 C graham flour or whole wheat flour
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 3/4 C pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1/2 C cream soda
- 1 T vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 C smashed graham crackers (pea-sized bits)
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree
- 3 C powdered sugar, sifted
- Whisk together flours, spices, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Mix the oil, cream soda, and vanilla into the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the graham crackers.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in pumpkin puree.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. You can add more sugar to make the frosting stiffer, but I think that makes it too sweet.