We are in the midst of the winter doldrums now. The holidays are over and it will be a while before, well, before anything fun happens. It’s winter with longer days, gray skies and mostly crappy weather. So, I’m thinking we need a fun summery cupcake to cheer ourselves up and think of summer days ahead. These pineapple cupcakes from Lady Behind the Curtain fit the bill perfectly. There is even a cherry surprise in each one! Summer will be here before you know it…or you can close your eyes and eat a pineapple cupcake and dream of summer.
Makes about 18 cupcakes
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 18 maraschino cherries
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks (each chunk cut in half)
- pineapple rings (garnish, cut into wedges)
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tin with 18 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk.
- Mix until just combined.
- Add 1 teaspoon of batter to the bottom of each cupcake liner. Add a cherry.
9. Top with 1 tablespoon of batter.
10. Add 4 pieces of pineapple. (that will be originally 2 chunks cut in half)
11. Top with another tablespoon of batter.
12. Bake 20 – 23 minutes.
13. Cool on wire rack in cupcake pans.
14. Frost with pineapple cream cheese frosting when completely cooled.
15. Top with a pineapple wedge (optional).
Cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla and pineapple and mix until well combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time. Store frosted goods in the refrigerator.