Have some of those round peppermint candies leftover from all the holiday parties? Well, here is a great way to use them in a cupcake! What is even better is this recipe from Easy Baked is, well, easy! The cupcake part is made from a doctored up boxed cake mix filled with a creamy mixture of Dream Whip and crushed peppermint candies to add some holiday flavor. Yum!
- One boxed dark chocolate cake mix (plus oil, water and eggs needed to make mix according to box)
- One packet of Dream Whip
- 1/2c. cold milk
- 3 t. vanilla (divided)
- 3 tablespoons of finely crushed peppermint candies
- 1 stick (4 oz.) of salted butter at room temp.
- 1 stick (4 oz.) of unsalted butter at room temp.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of hot cocoa mix (I used Nestle)
- Kraft Mallow Bits and peppermint candies to decorate as desired.
- Make cake mix according to box, and bake in 24 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Make cream filling by placing Dream whip, milk and 1 t. vanilla in a mixing bowl and beating on high until light and fluffy.
- Add finely crushed peppermint candy and gently fold in until well combined.
- Hollow a core out of each cupcake
- Pipe filling into each cupcake core.
- Make frosting by combining butters, powdered sugar, cocoa mix and 2 t. vanilla in a large bowl and beating on high until fluffy.
- Pipe frosting over cupcakes and decorate as desired. (The mallow bits were really yummy with this frosting!