I will admit that the creamsicle was not my favorite ice cream bar as a kid. Not exactly sure why, maybe I was too in love to chocolate. But even I will admit The Domestic Rebel‘s creamsicle cupcakes look pretty dreamy. Then again, pretty much anything with whipped cream would be dreamy.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
Makes about 18 cupcakes
1 box orange cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup orange juice
2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1 Duncan Hines Orange Creme Frosting Creations packet
4 cups powdered sugar
Orange gummy candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 18 paper liners and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil and orange juice with a handheld electric mixer or until smooth.
- Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling about ¾th of the way full.
- Bake for approx. 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, vanilla extract, heavy cream and Duncan Hines Orange Creme packet together for about a minute or until creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar about a cup at a time until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting high onto the cooled cupcakes; top with a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with an orange gummy slice.