My favorite chocolate cake recipe has coffee as an ingredient which makes for a dark, rich tasting cake. But this recipe from Cake Merchant kicks it up a notch by using coffee extract in the cake AND in the frosting. Now this is a cupcake for coffee lovers!
Mocha Chocolate Chip Espresso Cupcakes
Yield: 11-12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup plus 3 1/2 tablespoons (101 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (31 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon (.5 grams) baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (56 grams) eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (126 grams) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) coffee extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons (86 grams) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (105 grams) water, at room temperature
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons coffee extract
- pinch of salt
- mini chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and line a cupcake pan with paper liners
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the salt and whisk together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and coffee extract on medium low speed for about 1 minute.
- Turn up to medium, and continue beating for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has become pale and thick.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and continue beating on medium high for another 5 minutes. The mixture should have thickened by this point.
- And the mayonnaise and whisk until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture and the water in 2 additions each.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly divide the batter between the paper liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on low, until just combined. Turn the mixer up to medium and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract, coffee extract, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Fill a decorating bag with the frosting and pipe onto the cupcakes in swirls.
- Top with mini chocolate chips.