Remember when milk and cookies always made things better? There is just something about dunking a cookie into a tall glass of cold milk that takes me back to simpler times. And now thanks to Lemon Sugar a cupcake will so the same. The frosting is made with condensed milk for a smooth, creamy texture. Add a mini chocolate chip cookie as garnish and you have a perfect after school (or work!) treat.
Milk & Cookies Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 oz mini chocolate chips, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (to coat chips)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat together eggs and sugar until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder and vanilla and beat for another minute.
- Pour mini chocolate chips into a small bowl. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over chips, and mix to coat.
- Fold coated chips into batter.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins, filling each tin 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (or use a cake-tester). Remove from cupcake tin right away, and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 36-48 mini cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes ♦ Bake Time: 4-5 minutes per batch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 6 oz mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper, and set aside.
- Beat together butter and both sugars until creamy and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until just combined. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon a very small spoonful (about the size of a large marble) on to the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit on the cookie sheet for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and repeat.
Note: If your kitchen is warm, it would be a good idea to keep the batter in the fridge between batches. Otherwise, they will spread too much.
Allow cookies to cool completely before garnishing.
Milk Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 sticks (1 and 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 3 and 1/2 cups confectioners/powdered sugar
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, and beat to combine.
- Add condensed milk, cream and vanilla extract, then beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Generously frost cooled cupcakes.