And….this is the quickie shortcut version! So, if you have ever been super busy but so wanting a tasty cupcake, then this recipe from Boulder Locavore is for you! The cake is really just a dressed up box mix but – and here is the cool part – you can also substitute a gluten free cake mix! That means EVERYONE can enjoy a margarita cupcake. Ole!
Margarita Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Lime Frosting
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix (and any ingredients required by the mix; eggs, oil, etc. Can substitute your favorite Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake Mix)
- 1/4 cup Silver or Blanco Tequila
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Orange Extract
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, softened and at room temperature
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened and at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lime Zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 1/2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar (Tip: sifting the sugar eliminates any hard sugar clumps from the frosting)
- 3 tablespoons Lime Juice
- Optional decoration: jellied citrus slices, drinking straws cut into thirds
- Preheat the oven to the temperature specified on the cake mix box. Line a cupcake pan with decorative cupcake baking cups.
- Prepare the mix as described substituting the tequila and lime juice for 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (6 tablespoons) of the required water (see the example in the blog post). Add the orange extract with the other ingredients.
- Bake as instructed by the cake mix and allow to cool fully on a cooling rack before frosting.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add the cream cheese, lime zest, vanilla and salt; continue to mix on medium-high until combined and smooth.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and beat on low speed (increase speed after the sugar is incorportated) into frosting, followed by 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Repeat, alternating the sugar and lime juice, for the remainder of the sugar and lime juice, finishing with the 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Frost cupcakes if they are completely cool. Frosting can be covered and placed in the refrigerator while the cupcakes cool or to stiffen before frosting if desired.
- Top cupcakes with a jellied citrus wedge and a short straw stuck into the cupcake.