It has been so very long since I have had Angel Food cake. When I was growing up, it was the only – and I do mean THE ONLY – kind of cake my mom would make from a box mix. Cake Merchant makes these cupcakes from scratch and then tops them with a light and fluffy cream cheese whipped creamy frosting. Then add berries of your choice – or not. The berries do add lovely pop of color!
Lemon Berry Angel Food Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) cake flour
- 3/4 cup (85 grams) powdered sugar
- 5 large egg whites or 140 grams liquid egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) superfine or caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 ounces (227 grams) of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Assorted berries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Place 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift together cake flour and powdered sugar into bowl and repeat the this process 2 times.
- Beat egg whites and salt on medium high speed until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and beat to combine for an additional 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients over egg white mixture 1/4 cup at a time and fold in after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups and bake at for 16-18 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese (use the whisk attachment for a stand mixer) until smooth.
- Add the sugar and beat to combine.
- With the mixer running on medium speed, drizzle the heavy cream in slowly until it is completely incorporated.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks have formed.
- Add the vanilla and lemon juice and beat for an additional 20 seconds.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top with fresh berries.