Ah….another candy bar inspired cupcake! Chocolate Moosey came up with this recipe for a chocolate cupcake stuffed with a piece of a Kit Kat bar (surprise!). You might want to warn people that there will be a crunch when they bite into these delectable cupcake or else, well, they might think you did something horribly wrong. The buttercream frosting adds a lovely caramel flavor to the dark chocolate cake.
Kit Kat Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extrat
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 fun-sized Kit Kat bars, broken into single wafers (12 wafers total)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternating between the flour and buttermilk, gradually add the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 parts.
- In one liner, scoop enough batter to cover the bottom. Cut one Kit Kat wafer in half then place both halves on top of the batter. Scoop enough batter on top to cover. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean (you want a little bit of chocolate so they aren’t too dry). The tops may sink slightly. Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and salt until smooth. Add the caramel sauce then beat until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- With the remaining Kit Kat wafers, cut each in half then stick the cut side into the frosting for garnish.