A rich dark beer combined with chocolate means a moist and dense cupcake. Lemons for Lulu added some cream cheese filling with mint chips instead of a sweet frosting. These cupcakes are meant to be savored one delicious bite at a time.
Guinness Black Bottom Mint Cupcakes
- 1 cup Guinness Beer
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- ¾ cup mint chips ( I used Andes)
- Combine beer and butter in a saucepan. Melt butter over medium heat. When butter has melted, whisk in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool.
- With a hand mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, egg, salt and extract. Stir in mint chips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat eggs and sour cream until blended. Slowly beat in the beer mixture, just until combined. Carefully stir in flour mixture and continue beating until well mixed.
- Line cupcake pans and fill each cup ⅔ full with chocolate batter. Drop a tablespoon full of cream cheese mixture in the center of each cupcake. Bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Makes 30 cupcakes.