The origins of eggnog as a beverage are still being debated. Some think it may be a variation of grog from medieval times. What is well established is eggnog is a favorite (usually spiked) beverage for holiday get togethers. For those of you who do not like to drink milk and raw eggs, this recipe from Bakers Royale captures the flavor of eggnog in a delicious cupcake. The spiced rum buttercream frosting is, well, just the icing on the cake.
Eggnog Cupcakes with Spiced Rum Buttercream Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes | Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffins tins with cupcake liners.
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup eggnog
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Spice Rum Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup spiced rum
To make cupcake:
- Measure out flour and set aside.
- Add sugar and butter in a bowl and cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs in 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the eggnog and vanilla to start. Mix after addition until incorporated-do not overbeat.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cupcakes from tins to cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
To make Spice Rum Buttercream:
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high speed (speed 8 on a KitchenAid stand mixer) until mixture cools and doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes).
- Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking at first-this is normal. Keep mixing and it will become even and smooth again.
- Add salt and spiced rum and mix to combine.