These cupcakes are like an Easter egg hunt – there is a chocolate egg baked inside! Easier to find and so very delicious to eat. Go a little crazy with the frosting and use food coloring of your choice for a rainbow of colors. This recipe is courtesy of the folks at Domino Sugar.
- 2/3 cup – butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup – firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup – Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 – eggs
- 1 teaspoon – almond or vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups – all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons – baking powder
- 1 teaspoon – salt
- 1 1/4 cups – milk
- 24 – unwrapped small chocolate eggs
- Buttercream Frosting (below)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 24 medium muffin tins or line with paper baking cups.
Mix butter, sugars, eggs and extract in large mixing bowl until blended. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 5 minutes. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt alternately with milk.
Fill muffin cups 1/3 full and place unwrapped chocolate egg in center of each. Top with remaining batter, until 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool.
Buttercream Frosting: Combine in large bowl, 1 (1 lb.) pkg. Domino® Confectioners Sugar (approx. 3 3/4 cups), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup softened butter and 3-4 tablespoons milk. Beat at medium speed 1-2 minutes until creamy. Frost and decorate as desired.
Makes 24 cupcakes.