Vanilla cupcakes plus Oreos plus buttercream frosting with more Oreos = Oreo cupcake heaven! This recipe from Java Cupcakes uses a made from scratch vanilla cupcake batter which needs to be doubled. While I haven’t tried it (yet), I suspect you could use a “dressed up” vanilla box cake mix if you were in a time crunch. It’s the Oreos that make this cupcake special, not necessarily the vanilla cake.
Death by Oreo Cupcakes
- 2 packages Oreo cookies
- Vanilla cupcake batter , doubled.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 sour cream, room temperature
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted 3 times
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/8 sugar
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, soft & at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 sleeve of Oreo cookies
- 1 bag of Mini Oreo cookies – for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners and place a whole Oreo at the bottom of each liner.
- Prepare the vanilla cupcake batter:
- In a small bowl , whisk together the egg whites, egg, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of the vanilla milk and sour cream. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the cake flour three times. Add the baking powder, salt and sugar and sift two additional times.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour mixture with the butter and shortening on medium speed for about 30 seconds or until it looks finely clumped.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the remaining 1/2 cup vanilla milk and mix until just combined. It will be thick. Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
- Add the egg mixture in three parts, mixing for 20 seconds on medium speed and scraping the sides of the bowl between each addition. NOTE: DO NOT OVER MIX the batter. You want it to be smooth with all the ingredients incorporated.
- Crush into chunks about 25 Oreo cookies. Fold this into the batter.
- Scoop batter into cups at least 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream butter until smooth using an electric stand mixer.
- Add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. If it becomes too difficult to make smooth, add a Tbsp of cream at a time to loosen it up.
- Mix in the vanilla and salt.
- Add more cream until you get a smooth or spreadable consistency. Beat on high for about 5 minutes.
- Using a food processor, blend the remaining whole Oreo cookies until no chunks remain. Add this to the buttercream and mix until combined.
- Top each cupcake with frosting and garnish with a Mini Oreo.