Now that Thanksgiving is over, I think we need to take a break from the pumpkin spice craze and there is no better way to do that than with chocolate. Of course. The Butterfinger candy in the frosting is just an extra treat. How awesome is it that these cupcakes from Chocolate, Chocolate and More start with a simple cake mix? As much as I love cupcakes from scratch, I also do like the ease of using a jazzed up box mix topped with a yummy buttercream frosting. Yum!
Dark Chocolate Butterfinger Cupcakes
- 1 box (15.5 oz) Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
For the frosting:
- 8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 fun sized Butterfingers, chopped
For the chocolate topping:
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 TBSP butter
- Optional: Butterfinger Bites for garnish
- For the cupcakes:
- Prepare the cupcakes according to the directions on the box.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare frosting.
- For the frosting:
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat together the butter, cream, and vanilla on medium-low until smooth and well-combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Once powdered sugar is barely mixed in, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Add in the Butterfinger pieces and beat until the Butterfingers are crushed and the frosting is back to smooth.
- Generously frost or pipe frosting on cupcakes.
- For the chocolate topping:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and butter, stopping every 30 seconds to stir until combined and smooth.
- You have two options at this point.
- If you are skilled you can dip the cupcake into the chocolate. If you do that you are going to want to refrigerate the frosted cupcakes so as not to melt the cupcakes.
- Option two is to let the chocolate cool slightly and pipe it on to the top of the cupcake. I went with option two.
- Add a Butterfinger Bite to the top as a garnish.