So many wonderful flavors in one little package. A moist and light cupcake on top of some streusel topped with sugar and cinnamon….with a delicious snickerdoodley (is that a word?) frosting. Beyond Frosting‘s cupcakes are beyond awesome!
Coffee Cake Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
For the topping
For the frosting
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt butter. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or fork to blend butter into dry ingredients to create a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Combine vanilla cupcake mix with vanilla pudding. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added to ensure it is well mixed.
- Add milk, oil, sour cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl and turn the batter over from the bottom.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. Pour 1 heaping teaspoon of streusel in the bottom of each liner. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter into each liner on top of streusel. Each liner will be about ¾ full.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-18 minutes until cupcake are done. You do not want to top to turn brown. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done. Allow to cool completely.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or paper plate.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Brush each cupcake with a thin layer of butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Allow butter to come to room temperature so it is soft but not melted. Beat butter in mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time while continuing to beat on medium speed. Add cinnamon and mix into frosting.
- Add vanilla and heavy whipping cream last and increase mixer speed to high to whip frosting until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.