I had to shorten the name of these cupcakes because there is LOT going on with them! Hershey’s coconut creme kisses on top. Chocolate cupcake on the bottom. Vanilla Coconut Creme frosting in the middle. Oh, and the cake is made with black beans so these are technically gluten free and borderline healthy, but you don’t have to tell anyone else. As Cupcakes and Kale Chips points out there are yummy things in the recipe like sugar so it’s all good.
Coconut Creme Kisses Cupcakes
Makes 12-14 cupcakes
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 5 T coconut oil, or unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 5 T cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 24 Hershey’s Coconut Creme Kisses, unwrapped
- ½ c (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ c coconut oil (or additional butter)
- 2 c confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 T coconut milk (or regular milk or heavy cream)
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners, and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Combine the first five ingredients (through brown sugar) in your blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, and blend until combined.
- Divide batter between the muffin cups, and place one Kiss in each, pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove and cool completely on a rack.
- Frost with Vanilla Coconut Frosting and place another Kiss on top.
- To make the frosting, using an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat the butter and coconut oil until creamy.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the confectioners, and beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla and coconut milk, increase speed to high, and beat until creamy and fluffy.