Mmmm….do you smell that? You know, that cinnamon and almost smell. There is a reason I can’t buy candles that smell like cinnamon or other food – they make me hungry! I’m getting hungry just thinking about these delightfully yummy cupcakes from Life, Love and Sugar . The extra special bonus is the recipe for Cinnamon Sugar Almonds to use as a garnish. Or as a snack. Just sayin’
Cinnamon Sugar Almond Cupcakes
Makes 12-14 cupcakes
1 2/3 cups (240g) all purpose flour
1 cup (200g) sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup salted butter (170g), room temperature
3 egg whites
3 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup (120ml) sour cream
1/2 cup (120ml) milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp almond extract
2-3 tbsp water or milk
Cinnamon Sugar Almonds (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add butter, egg whites, almond extract, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
7. To make the icing, beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
8. Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
9. Mix in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
10. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency, then ice the cupcakes.
Cinnamon Sugar Almonds
- 3 cups whole almonds, raw
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large skillet or pot combine the sugar, cinnamon and water over medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the almonds and stir constantly with a spoon or spatula, coating the almonds with the syrupy mixture.
- Keep stirring until the sugar crystallizes (this takes about 8-10 minutes) and it looks sandy. Don’t stop stirring!
- Remove the pan from heat and scoop the almonds onto wax or parchment paper.
- Let the cinnamon almonds cool for a few minutes before serving.