Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Pecan Frosting
These chocolate cupcakes from Lemons and Anchovies are delicious but the frosting from Martha Stewart make them extra special.
Servings: 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter room tempurature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 3 egg yolks large
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar packed
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces and brought to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups pecans toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare your muffin pan by buttering or placing paper muffin cups in each mold.
- Whisk together the first five ingredients above. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until it’s soft and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating for two minutes, until the sugar and butter are blended. Add the egg, beat for one minute, then add the yolk, beating for another minute. Remember to scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla, reduce mixer speed to low and add half the dry ingredients. Mix only until the dry ingredients disappear. Scrape down the bowl, add buttermilk, mix until incorporated and add the remaining dry ingredients. Add the melted chocolate and mix with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the molds. Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until the tops of the cakes are dry and springy to touch. Set the muffin pan on a cooling rack and allow to cool for five minutes before unmolding. Cool to room temperature before topping with frosting.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans. Let cool completely. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day; bring to room temperature before using.