So it will soon be Valentine’s Day and for some of us, that means a day of watching everyone else get gifts. Maybe you like chocolate covered strawberries and wish you would receive some as a gift from…well, someone. Instead of waiting, why not whip up a batch of these chocolate cupcakes with a light and yummy strawberry mousse frosting from The Recipe Critic? I give you permission to eat as many of them as you want. It certainly would make the day much better!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Mousse Frosting
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- 1 (15.25 oz) Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 1 (3.9 oz) chocolate fudge pudding mix, dry
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain)
- 2 and ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- ½ cup strawberry pudding, dry
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- Optional: powdered sugar and strawberries to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the pudding and cake mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Mix wet and dry until combined (do not over-stir or beat in too much air)
- Fill up the liners ¾ths the way full and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool.
- Remove the strawberry stems. Place the strawberries in a food processor and pulse until completely liquid. Stir in the strawberry pudding and then lightly fold in the Cool Whip.
- Using a star tip pipe the strawberry filling onto the completely cooled chocolate cupcakes.
- Optionally garnish with a piece of a strawberry and a sprinkle of powdered sugar