I will admit that I am not a fan of coconut, not sure why. But I know there are many people who LOVE coconut and for them I have this recipe from Your Cup of Cake. Nice and easy, yet delicious chocolate cake topped with a coconut flavored cream cheese buttercream frosting….all rolled in more coconut. You’re welcome.
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes
1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Coconut Cream Frosting:
8 ox cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk oil, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
4. Pour cake mix into wet ingredients and mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Coconut Cream: Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Scrape down bowl as needed.
7. Pipe coconut cream on cooled cupcakes and roll in shredded coconut.