Some cupcakes are fancy, some are plain, and some are comfort food. Chelsea’s Messy Apron definitely had comfort food on the agenda when she combined chocolate chip cookies with cupcakes. Yes, you CAN have both! These sort of remind of of a blondie in cupcake form….topped with cream cheese frosting! Delicious!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup all vegetable shortening, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chip cookie crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and egg yolk in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed until combined.
- Gradually add milk, beating until combined. Then gradually add melted butter and shortening, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar egg mixture one cup at a time. Add extract and beat just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to under bake cupcakes. Under baking cupcakes will cause the center to sink in.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Fold in about 1/2 cup chocolate chip cookie crumbs.
- Frost cupcakes and top with remaining cookie crumbs.