The chocolate cupcake recipe from Shugary Sweets caught my attention because coffee is one of the ingredients. If you haven’t tried a coffee based chocolate cupcake, you don’t know what you’re missing! The coffee definitely adds richness to the flavor and take the edge off the sweetness of the sugar. Cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement to the rich chocolately cupcake.
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate morsels, divided
- For the cupcakes, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture (in about 3 additions).
- Pour into lined cupcake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add in vanilla, powdered sugar and milk and beat an additional 3-5 minutes. Fold in 1 1/4 cup mini chocolate morsels. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with remaining morsels if desired.