If you like a moist and dense chocolate cupcake, look for recipes using coffee. In other words, don’t look further than this recipe from Shugary Sweets which also uses buttermilk and dark chocolate cocoa powder. Oh yes, this is to die for! And that is before I mention the cream cheese frosting with mini chocolate chips. All my favorite things in one tiny package
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes
Makes 12-15 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate morsels, divided
- For the cupcakes, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture (in about 3 additions).
- Pour into lined cupcake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add in vanilla, powdered sugar and milk and beat an additional 3-5 minutes. Fold in 1 1/4 cup mini chocolate morsels. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with remaining morsels if desired.