Have to admit I am drooling a little just from reading Cookies and Cups’ recipe which is based on a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor, Karamel Sutra. Where was this ice cream flavor? How did I miss it? IS IT COMING BACK? Ok, ok….back to the cupcakes which consist of a rich, dark chocolate cake filled with homemade caramel sauce and topped with chocolate and caramel frosting. I suppose the cupcakes are better because I don’t have to rely on Ben and Jerry making the flavor and shipping it to a grocery store where I live. Spoken like a true Cupcake Fanatic.
Chocolate and Caramel Swirl Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable shortening
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium low. Add sugar and corn syrup and cook 6-8 minutes until mixture is a deep caramel color, stirring constantly.
- Add cream slowly while stirring and cook 2 minutes more until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely (about 2 hours).
- In a large saucepan melt butter and chocolate chips together until smooth. Allow to cool completely. (I let mine sit in the fridge overnight) It will become solid.
- With hand mixer beat the solid chocolate until it becomes light and fluffy.
- In medium saucepan melt butter and sugar together. Bring to a boil and then add milk, stirring until smooth. Allow mixture to come back to a rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. When caramel is cool beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Put all ingredients into stand mixer and beat for 3 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 way full and bake for 20 minutes until the centers spring back.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut out small portion of center of the cupcake with a paring knife. Fill cupcake with approximately 1 Tablespoon of caramel. Place cored piece of cupcake back on top.
2. Fill a piping bag with frosting fitted with a large tip. Spread caramel frosting on one side of the bag and chocolate on the other, so when you frost the cupcakes, the frostings will swirl together.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening on a small saucepan over low heat. Once melted, spread chocolate thinly on a baking sheet. Freeze chocolate for 5-10 minutes until set and using a sharp spatula push the chocolate slowly along the edges to form the curls.
- Garnish cupcakes with curls.